Thursday, March 24, 2005

 

Bowling for Bobbleheads!

This is an amusing tale written by a bowler who REALLY wanted to win the bowling ball bobblehead awarded to each member of the first place team.

They thought they would win handily over the opposing team of older players and a 10 year old kid... but fate had other things in mind... :)

"We were playing for these really cool and I badly wanted one; my lust drove me to bowl the best game I've ever bowled: 175.

Our team ended up in the championship game against the "Golden Oldies": a team made up of the elderly and 10-year old kid.

I knew we were going to win.

I wish I could now write that we were neck and neck the whole game, but I can't. For the first half of the game, most of our frames were defined by the awesome strikes that our team scored. The geriatric team wasn't faring so well, going into the 5th frame with a team average of about 50.

I knew the bobble head trophy was mine and I had already picked a place on my mantle for it. I imagined coming home and showing Brian the results of being the best bowler in the building.

It was about 8:45pm and our team finished; the other team was still playing. Megan and I had to leave soon, but I told Craig Axford, the leader of the group, that I would stay for the "results" of the game. He even commented to me that I should wait for my trophy.

Both games were over and the winners were being announced. Craig got on the microphone and said, "Second place, lane 10!" I thought I heard it wrong and laughed to myself. I grinned at Megan and said, "He's joking." I turned around and looked at Craig who wasn't joking.

Minutes earlier, Megan and I were practicing our "losing smiles", thinking that we wouldn't have to use them. Unfortunately, I did and showed everybody the fakest smile I have ever shown anyone.

After I received my red, "Second Place" ribbon, I went back to my seat contemplating my defeat. How could I have lost? That 10-year old kid kept bowling gutter balls and the whole team was about to keel over.

Then Megan told me what I had failed to realize....."


Check out the original blog entry to find out what happened at: Boy in Suit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home